sunnuntai 16. tammikuuta 2011

Flying on the world's biggest cruise ship

Yes indeed. Transferring to my connecting flight to Hong Kong at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport presented me with literally the world's biggest surprise: the carrier was the enormous Airbus A380, the largest passenger jet there is. I felt like shouting out of joy! Little me in that giant of a plane!

It never looks as big in photos but here's one anyway. The Airbus A380.

And let me tell you people it is huge. My seat was 74K - 74K! - and it took a looong walk along the aisle to get there. There were probably at least 30 more seats after that, too. The seats were like in first class and the food looked like it was made in the kitchen of a fine Italian restaurant. I mean, coconut mousse and chocolate chips for dessert, when have you had that on a plane? It's usually always the dry brownie. And there was moisturiser in the lavatory!

Well, that 3-hour flight was pretty much all the luxury for me for the next three weeks. I'm back to backpacker mode. I arrived safely to Hong Kong, survived the insane shuttle bus driver with an apparent death wish (got to the hotel pretty fast though, so thanks!) and my hotel is in one of the famous lodging complexes on Nathan Road in Kowloon. And by famous I don't mean fancy. These places are made for travellers and vagabonds. The hotel rooms are scattered around the huge building and mine is pretty much the size of a stamp. But I have my own bathroom and get clean sheets every day so I got pretty much all I need. And I didn't come all this way to spend time in my room anyway.

Hong Kong Island view from Kowloon.

I met with my Hong Kong contact Margot yesteday. We got in contact through Couch Surfers and even though I wasn't in need of a couch I figured it would be fun to get to know the city with a little help from a local. And she is awesome! I think I found my Hong Kong twin: she works in media, has studied film and television production and loves food! We had the nicest time yesteday afternoon and we'll meet again next week.

Happy Appreciate a Dragon Day, everybody!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti