tiistai 18. tammikuuta 2011

Got class?

I arrived in Hong Kong late last Friday. After a nice hot shower I figured I should get something to eat before I hit the sack so I went searching for a place to eat around the nearby blocks. And there were many - but where do I go on my first night here? An Irish pub! I know. I'm a pussy.

I just wasn't feeling that adventurous at the moment so I ate a chicken salad, watched some Asian Cup soccer (Australia-South Korea, 1-1) and went to sleep. Slept like a baby for 11 hours straight. I guess all the pre-trip sleep deprivation is now getting fixed. Funny thing but I feel more relaxed actually traveling than planning the journey.

The nearby neighborhood of Tsim Sha Tsui is one of the busiest tourist districts in Hong Kong. That means a lot of overly eager salespeople trying to sell you fake handbags, watches and such. I don't really know if I look like someone who'd wear a Rolex, but I can tell you I would own dozens had I bought one at every opportunity.



I've tried to get a taste of the high-life in Hong Kong by setting up shop in the lobbies of fancy hotels, drinking tea there and buying some wi-fi time. One day I sat in the Four Seasons writing when this nice, young businessman sat down opposite to me and we started talking. We were discussing our travels and all of a sudden he asked me where I was staying. At first I thought, wow, do I really look like I can't possibly be staying here, but then I realised my Octopus Card was sticking out of my jeans pocket. Yeah, I guess not a lot of Four Seasons guests ride the MTR...

My own lodging on the other hand is full of surprises. This maze of a building houses Hongkongers, small shops and businesses and a dozen or so hotels and hostels, all bundled up together in different corners of it's 16 floors. On my first morning I ran into this old man by the elevators. He wished me a good morning, took my hand, kissed it and then asked for money. The next morning at the same elevators I met a Pakistani hair stylist who gave me his card: "Call me, I fix your hair".

Thanks for the subtle hint. Scarecrow, signing off!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti